Reviews of Polycarp and the Second Century Church
1. Stephen Long’s research and knowledge of Church History, added to his skill as a very gifted writer, makes for a great and informative read. I would recommend Steve’s book on Polycarp and the Second Century Church to all believers to get an accurate understanding of where we came from as an earth-changing movement.
Polycarp and the Second Century Church gives encouragement to the modern believer to know that just as Christianity thrived during the first two centuries it will also thrive in these last days. The reader’s faith will be built up and many questions about our beginnings will be answered. This book on the early Church should be required reading in the current Church. It adds real strength to one’s Scriptural knowledge and understanding of how the members of the early Church overcame suffering and became the overcomers of their day.
Pastor Ray Wilson, Light of the World Church
2. Stephen Long’s writing style brings to life this great leader of the second century. His book reads easily like reading a testimony book of current times. He intertwines history, and church events, Bible teaching, and the writings of early leaders in a way that you understand them like you were there. My husband and I read this book together, and we couldn’t put it down until we finished it. We found Polycarp to be a motivating example for our lives in this century.
Linda Tjelmeland, Director and Instructor, Instituto Biblico Libertad, and Co-founder of Workers Together With God ministry and missionary in Central America for 28 years.
3. It has been an honor to know Stephen not only as a close friend, but as a man of integrity and character who seeks to reveal and teach the truths of God that is found in Holy Scripture. In his book, Polycarp and the Second Century Church, he uncovers and shares important information concerning the early church that is valuable for today’s Christian. I was very encouraged as I read the book to see that Steve’s ultimate purpose in writing it was to unveil Jesus as the Christ and the Builder of the Church. I pray as you read this book the Lord will expand not only your understanding of the Church, but your spiritual walk with Christ as well.
Pastor Leon Clift, New Beginnings Christian Fellowship
4. Before reading the book, I had no knowledge of second century Christianity, but after reading this very informative and enlightening book, I now have an understanding of what the early Church endured for the sake of Jesus Christ and His teachings. What an encouragement to believers today, as with the early Church, our faith in the Word of God and steadfastness will enable us to overcome and be victorious. I look forward to one day meeting Polycarp in heaven and thanking him for his faithfulness in advancing the Kingdom of God and paving the way for the Church today. I highly recommend this well-written and inspiring book, Polycarp and the Second Century Church.
Charlotte Parkhurst, Founder and Director of Daughters of Zion Ministries
5. My husband and I both loved reading Polycarp and the Second Century Church. Anyone who is interested in Church History will find this to be a great book about an outstanding man of God who lived during and after the apostolic period. The book is scholarly, yet easy to read and easy to understand. After reading this book, I almost feel as though I know Polycarp personally.
6. Reading Polycarp and The Second Century Church was a revelatory experience where mere names from history morphed into real-life characters that engaged the challenges and expanded the Church in their generation. I thoroughly enjoyed this concise and inspirational book that has stimulated my faith and bolstered my courage as a new millennial believer. It fills a silent gap where little is known or understood about Church History. This is a must read for anyone that wants to understand the roots of their faith!
Pastor Gary Marrone, Pathway Church
7. This is an excellent book for those wanting to know more about the true history of the Christian Church from an author who has spent many years researching and compiling an impressive account of Polycarp and other Early Church leaders. Stephen Long's factual writing style is easy to read and understand, yet filled with information not easily available. It is a prized addition to my library and makes a great gift.
Dr. Ronny D. Thomason, Pastor, Cornerstone Church
8. As I read Polycarp and the Second Century Church, I felt as though I was walking with the great men and women of God of this early period of the Church. The book made me very thankful for the contribution that believers who lived during the second century made, which is still impacting us and the world today. The book built my faith and sparked a new interest in me to learn more about Church History. A well-written book and a job well done!
9. As a minister of the gospel and a Bible teacher for over 40 years, I have wondered at times what happened to the church after all of the apostles died and I have wondered if the church of today is much like the church of that period. After reading Polycarp, Disciple of the Apostle John, I finally see how close we are in our worship and service to Jesus Christ as the early church. Also, I was amazed at the amount of research and footnotes. The book is well written and answers many questions about the early history of the church.
10. As I read Stephen’s book I was excited to learn about the courage and the faithfulness of the second century Christians. I was glad to see that the Church of that day was still on fire for the Lord and how the true followers of the Lord were not giving in to the false teachers of their day. It challenges us Christians today to fight for the Truth and to live for Christ. Polycarp and the Second Century Church is written in such a clear and plain manner, even though it covers a scholarly subject. I am looking forward to reading any other books that God would lead Stephen to write on Christian History.
11. Stephen Long is one of the most prolific and authentic Biblical scholars of our time. I truly appreciate his writings as they encourage me in the faith and keep me strong to face any battle that I may have in life. I highly recommend Polycarp and the Second Century Church, as it fills my need to learn more Biblical truths yet to be discovered. This book is riveting, exciting and purposeful easy readying you will appreciate for years to come.
Professional Singer and Songwriter of Christian Music